Extra Icon Sets
The pro version of Hexographer allows you to replace any terrain or feature icon with an alternate. These simply need to be PNG images. For best results they should be transparent and you should choose a resolution that will allow them to be displayed nicely at your chosen hex size. You may also add PNGs as map items.
Below are samples and links to four alternate icon sets available for Hexographer. Keep in mind that you can import any PNG image individually by going to “Customize Hexes” tab and finding the terrain or feature icon you wish to replace or you can click the “Add/Edit/Remove Custom” button (also on the “Customize Hexes” tab) to add the icons as entirely new terrain or features. To quickly have a set of icons add/replace as many of your existing/default icons click the “Import Settings” button (again on the “Customize Hexes” tab) and finally select the “*filename*.properties” file in the zipped file–unzip it first!
With that out of the way, the four map symbol sets are:
- 1E World Style: a large selection of map icons in the style of the classic maps of the 1E World boxed set.
- Alternate Classic: a set created by artist Keith A Curtis which updates/refreshes the look of the classic Gazetteer icons.
- Calligraphy: a set that looks like it was done with a calligraphy brush and/or watercolor.
- Multicolored Classic: Similar to Hexographer’s default icon set, but with extra colors.
- Black & White Classic: A set reminiscent of map icons from classic RPG books of 25+ years back.
- Also note that the default icon set can also be downloaded.